Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What is this?

Basically, it is...

Step 1:
<=====Click on a creature picture on the sides of this post=====>
(best viewed on home computer, not mobile)

 Step 2:
See a fantastical creature of my design.

OR hit this:



As a kid, I always loved flipping through books that have encyclopedic lists of monsters. Doing that always sparked my imagination. When I began writing fantasy, I kept my own mini-wiki that held all of the mythology I was creating. As sort of a fun side project, I decided to share my notes on a blog for others to see.

Here, my notes will be shortened and shined, my drawings will become high-quality artwork, and my RPG system that I'm working on will be included for anyone that wants it. Everything on this site will be of my own making. The drawings are done with ink pens on paper and then digitally colored in. The words and RPG notes are all my own.

This will be a spoiler-free site. Any important creature or monster in my novel will not be shown here. This will be a place for background creatures that may have been mentioned, but aren't really explored in my books thoroughly. I want you to learn about the major creations while reading the actual text of my novel. That's where I want you to discover the best of the best, the most interesting creatures and monsters I have to offer.

This is a place for the smaller ones. The one-liners. The farm animals. The zoo.

As a fantasy creator, I am trying hard to create new stuff. I am purposefully not using dragons, orcs, zombies, elves, or any other common fantastical creature. Instead, I'm making up creatures like kudanites, bewildered vats, and walking mouths--creatures that I've never seen done before because they came directly from my brain. I want my fantasy to have an unexplored, unique feel, so I hope you appreciate that.

So, that's what this is, and it's a work in progress. This blog is what I'll work on when I need a break from actually writing my novels... so it will be slow going. At this point, I plan on adding one creature a month. I will also be adding an RPG system page, but not until way later.

One last thing: An atlas is usually a term for a book of maps, but there's a reason I chose that term for this site. You will see why I've dubbed it an altas after I've filled this site in more.